Winter weather takes charge

To quote the Pirate King in Gilbert and Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance,  "...for such a beastly month as February, twenty-eight days...are plenty." I couldn't agree more! Here we are at the end of February already and the weather is worse than ever.  As I write, an ice storm is covering the trees and roads with a thick layer of ice. It is very quiet outside as everyone is staying home and hoping the power doesn't go out.  I had a busy day planned, starting with a breakfast networking meeting and ending with Ash Wednesday services at a district church some distance away. Most events have been cancelled and I find myself with plenty of time to work on the photos from my branding session yesterday. There are times when outside forces take charge and make us to take a day off.  I count myself lucky to be able to cancel plans and stay home. 

Business owners are "can do", "take control" kind of people, but winter weather is a good reminder that we are not in charge all the time! I think one of the most important traits a successful business owner can have is  flexibility! The world will not come to an end because a client has to be rescheduled or a networking event cancelled due to weather, sickness or other unforeseen circumstances. During the recent pandemic, the businesses that survived were those that pivoted, changed what they offered and sometimes found a whole new line of business! I know of photographers who had their best year ever in 2020. I was not one of them but I did manage to keep working. This year is starting off strong with studio photography and indoor events and new opportunities abound!

Southeast Wisconsin is a beautiful place, with a wide variety of weather. As the saying goes, "If you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes!" Wisconsinites know how to have a good time in all seasons, whether it's sitting on a frozen lake fishing or tailgating at the ball park. I love the change of seasons and I would not want to live where it is the same all year round. With February winding down, we can look ahead to the longer, warmer days of spring. The trees that lost limbs in the ice storm will sprout new leaves and the flowers will come back. It doesn't do to get too comfortable, though; Mother Nature is always ready to give us a swift kick to remind us who's really in charge!



Comments

Popular Posts