Practicing what I preach



 I am a big fan of printed photographs. I tell my clients that a printed photograph is a physical memory, a moment in time that we can hold in our hands. Since I have been doing a lot of headshots, I have been dealing with digital files; business clients need images for their websites and for social media. They seldom print a picture of themselves to frame and put on the office wall! That's why I enjoy photographing portraits and families when I get the chance. 

As the weather warms up, families start planning get-togethers. The occasion might be a graduation, a birthday or just an excuse for grandma to get the family together. These events are the perfect time for family photos. Last summer I photographed a family of 28, plus assorted dogs and horses. It's intense work! I start with a group picture of everyone, then the families with the smallest children, working myself up to the couples and singles. Small children have the attention span of a gnat and a number of things can influence how they feel about having their picture taken!  Mom or Dad will say things like "Sit still and smile nice!" as the little one tears around like a tornado. The 'shame' of having the worst behaved child in a group causes Mom to get stressed out, which, in turn, negatively affects the kids. So let me say right now, to all the parents out there, your child will not be the worst I've seen! Given free reign, I try to make the session quick and fun. A fast shutter speed is the photographer's best friend when it comes to photographing small children! Let them move, find them things to do with their parents or siblings and the photographs will show a happy, engaged child. I love pictures of kids where each one is doing something different and their personalities shine through.

Once you have that all-important family picture, make sure you print it BIG and hang it on the wall! I am in the process of having a large piece framed for our bedroom. It has 9 pictures of my daughter and family and I produced it as a sample of what I would like to sell to my clients. In truth, you can't sell what you don't show.  Graphistudios calls it a '9-up'. The outside measurement is 27.5 x 31.5 inches (roughly 70x80cm) so it is a custom frame job. When I took it to my custom frame shop, the owner was very impressed with the quality of my Italian-made matted print!  I am looking forward to seeing it when it is finished, museum glass and all! This is what I would like to sell to my clients. It is the opposite of digital files only and an heirloom to be passed down the generations!

Not every client is going to buy something this special but, by making sure they buy a quality print, I increase the likelihood of my image earning a place of honor on their wall!






Comments

Popular Posts