The COVID Pause: when plans go awry

 

Last night was the first freeze of the season. We hustled to bring the tender plants inside to keep them going a little longer. Today, when I went for my walk, it was clear that Autumn had properly arrived overnight; leaves that were green yesterday, are suddenly turning colors. It is significant that I had the time to notice the beauty because things have been getting busy lately. I had a packed week of in-person events and appointments planned, plus getting ready for a trip to see the west-coast grandbabies for the first time in almost two years. 

Then, overnight, things changed. It started with a few sniffles-allergies, I thought. On Monday afternoon, I became really sick and Tuesday morning, I had a fever of 100.4°. Hmm! There's no fever with allergies! My husband searched on line and found a pharmacy with home COVID tests. There were two tests in the box-one each. His test was negative but mine was positive!  We quickly booked a real lab test at the pharmacy drive through, for 3:30pm; the only slot available. I told myself it couldn't be true-I was vaccinated, after all! When the time came, I went for the test, and, ten minutes after I got home, I had the answer: Positive! 

This one test had an immediate ripple effect.  I told my daughter-she immediately pulled her oldest daughter (the basketball star) out of school and home-tested her: Positive! She pulled the other kids out-they were all negative but had to stay home from school anyway. We started telling people and cancelling engagements. One grandchild's family birthday gathering was cancelled, a doctor appointment, two in-person business gatherings and a church meeting were chopped. That left the question of the vacation. On Thursday, that question was answered when my husband also tested positive. Shut down! The task of unravelling our vacation plans fell to me. I was already feeling better but was still considered contagious. As of today, Friday, I have successfully rebooked our accommodations and flights and our vacation is now set for the end of November. The ripples continue to spread and life has suddenly slowed to a crawl. Which is why, on the first fall day after the first freeze, I had time to go for a walk and notice the changing leaves. The world goes on and laughs at the best laid plans!


Comments

Popular Posts