Managing customer expectations

 

As a business owner, I try to make realistic promises to my customers, erring on the side of caution while aiming to deliver more. I am confident in my skills and experience- for example, I've been photographing weddings for over 15 years- but I can't guarantee that all will go smoothly. I always joke that wedding photography is much like combat photography: you can't control the light, the weather or the guests and you have to be prepared to pivot for any emergency! I wear a pair of comfy shoes, take a spare camera and a tool bag containing everything from needle-nosed pliers to zip ties.  

I suspect we have all experienced the disappointment of a product or service that does not deliver on it's promises.  Whether it's something as simple as guaranteed next day delivery, or as complex as a cure for a deadly disease, there are always those willing to make promises about things they may or may not be able to deliver. 

Here is a case in point: I ordered an item from a large online retailer which was scheduled to be delivered on Thursday. I didn't need the item until Friday, so I was happy with the estimated delivery date. Then I got a "happy, happy" email from the retailer: "Good news!  Your item will be delivered sooner than expected, on Wednesday!"  I was pleased. I looked for the delivery all day.  At 9pm, I tracked it and saw that it had been sent to another state. The new delivery estimate from the carrier was any time between Thursday and Saturday. In fact, the item turned up on Thursday, the very day they had originally estimated, but, in my mind, it was now late. By sending me that email promising Wednesday delivery, the retailer had reset my expectations and set themselves up to disappoint!

The moral of my story is: if you under promise and over deliver, you will come out as a hero, whereas, making rash promises and not delivering, results in disappointment and dissatisfaction more often than not. And if things go wrong, be prepared to go out of your way to make them right!  A little empathy goes a long way; managing expectations will lead to a much smoother customer experience. 

Comments

Popular Posts