Going Natural during the COVID-19 Pandemic!


 The deadly Coronavirus pandemic had a way of putting things into perspective! 2019 was a good year for my small photography business and I fully expected 2020 to be even better!  With photography deemed non-essential, I found myself spending a lot of time at home, wondering what the next step would be. I've always thought that, in order to present a professional appearance, I needed monthly trips to the beauty parlor to color my hair back to it's original dark brown. Then the hairdresser's shops shut down and, before I knew it, I had a scraggly two inches of silver outgrowth. My regular hairstylist was encouraging; when I got a chance for a trim, she cut off as much of the dark color as she could, resulting in an edgy, punk look!  Once regular haircuts were available again, it wasn't long before I was completely grey. Despite the shock I still get when I look in the mirror, I decided I liked it, and it is certainly a lot easier on the up-keep!

I soon discovered that I was not the only one! To judge by social media, silver is a trending color. This gave me the idea to try to photograph women who went natural during the pandemic.  I plan to start a campaign called...COVID Silver?  The idea is still percolating and the name is subject to change. As a portrait photographer, I want to set an example of feeling good about being natural. Women are so often made to feel that they have to present an artificially young appearance in order to be valued. Who will take me up on my offer to have a portrait made with their "new look"?

Comments

Popular Posts