Photograph your life

 When I went to Phoenix for the Portrait Masters conference in September, I was excited to listen to the wonderful line-up of speakers. I heard so much that was wise and inspiring. One speaker on the last day, however, was particularly meaningful. Matthew Jordan Smith is a photographer of international renown; he has photographed many famous people and fashion models. If you don't know his name, I guarantee you have seen his work. His topic this time was of a much more personal nature. He recently lost his father, who was suffering from dementia and his topic was the importance of photographing your own life. In his case, it was recording time with his father, which was not as much time as he would have wished, since he lives in Japan. He told us that we should pick up our cameras when we are not being paid and record our own lives. We professional photographers have a tendency to ignore daily happenings in our own lives. I, for one, tend not to take my big, professional camera to social events because then it becomes all about being the one to take the pictures and I am never in them. It's a trial to carry a heavy, expensive camera when everyone else is travelling light. Matthew's story changed my perspective.

When I got home, I went out for lunch with some friends and, despite having a broken hand, thanks to a fall in Phoenix, I took my camera and 50mm lens. I took a bunch of pictures of my friends, which they loved and gushed over. True to tradition, I was only in one or two and they were out of focus because we asked someone to take them with my camera. Still, my friends loved the pictures and one asked to buy prints so that her children would have a good picture of her when she was gone! It all kind of reinforced what Matthew said in his talk.  Since then, I have photographed my granddaughter's cross country and basketball teams and recorded sporting victories and defeats. I took the grandkids out individually to have photo shoots and I have tried to take some self portraits. I also took my camera for some walks in the neighborhood and photographed the fall colors, which were spectacular this year. None of these things benefit my business, aside from giving me something to post on social media, but they filled my soul and reminded me why I love photography.

I am starting a photography group at my local senior center. Once again, it won't advance my business monetarily but it will enable me to share my love of photography with others. Photographs are all about memories; they allow us to record special moments and remember those who are no longer with us. I hope the pictures my students will take will enrich their lives and allow them to express their creativity. I'll keep you posted!

Comments

Popular Posts