Making (and keeping) memories


 November has arrived, and with it, the unofficial start of the holiday season. The last, dark days of the year have been a time of festivals and celebration since before the days of Christianity; a time for gift-giving and feasting and making memories with family. For many families, the holidays are a time to catch up with extended family and friends, whether it be in-person gatherings, letters, phone calls, or video chats. 

The greeting cards start to roll in before Thanksgiving. For me, the best of all those holiday cards are the ones that have family pictures. They often end up on the refrigerator for most of the next year. Looking through my box of photo cards, I can see how children have grown and family members changed. Our card last year had the first picture of me with grey hair, after I embraced my natural color during the pandemic. The older I get, the more I value memories rather than "stuff". 

I believe that photographs are memories you can hold in your hand.  They show a moment in time, like hitting "pause" on the video player.  They also make the best, most appreciated gifts! There are the custom photo cards, of course, but also photo books and framed prints, brag books and ornaments, all of which make wonderful gifts for grandparents and other family members. When I have photographed a wedding, I will send the bride and groom a custom tree ornament celebrating their first Christmas together. Dated picture ornaments can be enjoyed every year, as you pull out the box to decorate the tree! Last year, my daughter celebrated a big birthday and I made her a special photo book for a Christmas gift. It was a lot of work but she loved it.

Whether you book a portrait session with me or another photographer, or buy a gift certificate so that grandparents can be in the pictures too, I hope you will also remember to take lots of pictures of your own in the coming season, to keep those memories alive.






Comments

Popular Posts