Learning from each other

Technology has not been my friend recently! I started writing this post in Word because my blog platform was broken. Then, last week, I had one of those moments all computer users fear, when I must have clicked on a dodgy link. A warning page flashed up and a strident voice told me that my computer was compromised and under no circumstances should I turn off my computer! Once my heart rate slowed a little, I noticed that only my browser was frozen- Excel, Photoshop, and anything else open were working just fine. I consulted tech support (AKA the hubby) and shut down all the other programs, then turned off my computer. When I turned it back on, everything looked normal, so I ran some scans with my antivirus software, and it advised me to install an updated version of Chrome. After the update, things seem to be working fine-so far! It was a scary reminder of how much we depend on our technology!

I consider myself to be fairly tech-savvy. As a photographer in 2024, computers are part of the deal.  I have come a long way since my first digital camera forced me to get up close and personal with the family computer but I’m no expert. I will never be as comfortable with computers as this generation who grew up with them. On the other hand, I enjoy learning new skills and finding a better way.  There is plenty of online education available-just Google whatever you need, and I guarantee there are YouTube videos to tell you how to do it! 

Everyone has areas of expertise. The students in my photography group at the Senior Center expect me to know the answers to their photography questions and generally I do. If I don’t, I say so and we look it up. That way, I learn too. Learning is a two-way street and I learn a lot from my students! A number of years ago, I was a volunteer English tutor to a young man from Mexico. I thought my area of expertise was the fact that I am a native English speaker. My student, however, saw me as an expert on the United States and I found myself, also an immigrant, explaining everything from the rules of driving to how Presidential elections work! I swear I learned as much as he did! 

A favorite saying of my mother’s was “You never lose what you give away!” I think that is definitely true of knowledge. It’s strange, but true: when we share our expertise with others, we often end up learning as much ourselves.




Comments

Popular Posts