Marketing your business with a personal touch.

 I am not big on paid advertising; I don't pay to boost my posts on Google or Facebook. My business has always relied upon a personal touch, that is to say, on networking. Over the years, the majority of my work has come from personal recommendations and relationships. Some clients are people I have known for a while, some are people who know people I know, and sometimes it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. For example, a business owner who is unhappy with the photographer they have used previously, meets me at an event and we get to talking. When a need comes up, they look at my business card and give me a call. 

I put a lot of thought into designing my business cards because they are often a first touch contact with a new client. It wasn't too long ago that people were claiming that print advertising in general and business cards in particular, were defunct. I have never found that to be true, although, during the Covid shut-downs, the opportunities to hand them out were few and far between! This year, for the first time, I sent holiday cards to all my clients from the past year. They had a seasonal design on the front and a 2024 calendar on the back (to encourage them to keep the card). Within a couple of days, I got a message from a past client saying, "Thanks for the card and, by the way, I need headshots for two new team members!" It just goes to show that, when it comes to keeping my business front of mind, a personal touch goes a long way!

2023 was a busy year for my business and I hope 2024 will be busier still. Statistically, a repeat client costs much less to attract than a new one, so it makes sense to keep former clients warm by reaching out periodically. How often is too often? That's a sticky question. Most businesses will promote sales-how many hundreds of emails have you received in the run up to the holidays? Buy, buy, buy! This price won't last! Holiday pricing! Most of them go straight into the trash-some are diverted to Spam. Their effect is diluted by a constant spray of generalized promotion, and it is generalized, despite the AI tools which help personalize these mass emails. It costs them a lot of money to advertise this way. money which I, as a small business owner do not have!  I also have a 'boutique' business model that does not have sales. Personal service is what sets my business apart and that is worth it's weight in advertising. 

I recently became a Certified Ambassador with Forever, which sells digitization services and cloud storage. The CEO, Glen Meakem, was recently asked why he did not advertise widely like some digitization competitors do. He said that Forever had chosen to go with service, through a network of ambassadors who help the customers to preserve their memories rather than leaving them to figure it out all by themselves. Even though the ambassadors are well compensated for their services, the total is much less than throwing money at an advertising wall and hoping it will stick. This philosophy is well aligned with my philosophy of business and one of the reasons I am proud to be an ambassador for Forever.

There are plenty of photographers in my area, of varying skills. There is a price point for everyone. I am not the cheapest-nor the most expensive photographer; what I aim to provide is the best personal service and the most repeat clients!

Comments

Popular Posts