Getting personal-giving memories for Christmas

The countdown is on! The television stations have been promoting the holidays for a couple of months already, with Christmas-themed advertising, full of perfect families, with well-behaved perfect children, enjoying snowy, wonderful holidays.  Time has a way of coloring our memories, making them warmer and fuzzier than perhaps they really were. We remember the good times and how they made us feel, sharing them with loved ones, and the traditions passed down through the generations. Commercials play right into these fuzzy, warm memories. 

What were some of your particular traditions?  Growing up in England, I remember making mince pies with my mother on Christmas Eve afternoon, while the Carols and Lessons from Kings College, Cambridge played on the radio. I still make mince pies and I still listen to the Carols and Lessons on the radio, although, thanks to the time difference, it's a live morning broadcast. 

The holidays are all about memories. It often happens that, when the gifts are opened and everyone has eaten their fill, the stories will start and the photo albums will come out. One of the joys of being a grandparent is to share stories with the grandchildren about their parents.  My daughter, who is still a big fan of Christmas, once woke us all up so early to open gifts before breakfast, that she fell asleep in her breakfast plate. Even better, I have  a photo to prove it! This year, I have a bunch of digitized videos of Christmases past, so I may have to produce a "greatest hits" reel for the grands to enjoy.

One of the most stressful things about Christmas is buying or making gifts for everyone. I know people who buy gifts throughout the year and probably have everything wrapped by now. I am not one of them! Choosing the perfect gift is hard! As a photographer, I love giving personalized gifts. I make a family calendar full of photos, with all the family birthdays and special days recorded. It takes a  lot of time but my family loves it. One of the bonuses for me is that they have to send me updated pictures of everyone!  I make 6 copies in all, three of which are mailed to Britain. These are not the most expensive gifts, but the time and love that goes into them makes them special.

Despite the commercials, the holidays are not about conspicuous consumption! They are about memories, new and old, and spending time with family. They are also a time when we remember to give to others-something that we should do all the time! Opportunities abound to make this season special for those less fortunate! To quote Tiny Tim, in Dickens' "A Christmas Carol", "God Bless us, every one!"


Comments

Popular Posts