What does it take to be a professional photographer in 2023?


I recently photographed a black tie gala for a local non profit.  It was a big deal-they were celebrating 100 years of operations!  I took candid shots, pictures of couples and groups by a commemorative backdrop, and recorded the recognition of long-time supporters and volunteers. Everyone was dressed to the nines and out to see and be seen. As a solo attendee and part of the "help", I was seated at a table with people I didn't know, towards the back of the hall. This is no different from photographing weddings and other celebrations-I eat when I can and I'm prepared to jump up and grab my camera at any moment. I sat next to a rather frail, elderly gentleman who made some attempt at conversation and his assertive wife, who did not. At one point, the gentleman asked me about my qualifications for was photographing the event. I don't think he meant to be offensive-maybe he thought I must be related to someone to get the gig. I told him a little of my history, then he lost interest and ate his salad.

It made me think about the business of photography and the wide variety of people who call themselves professional photographers. In most cases, professional photographers do not have a degree in photography, like doctors and lawyers do. Google's definition of a professional photographer is someone who makes 50% to 100% of their income from photography. Think about that for a minute. There is nothing about skill, experience, vision or art in that statement! Like many people who pursue photography as a business, I began with a side-hustle.  In my case, a co-worker liked my work and asked me to photograph her wedding, which was the most outrageous leap of faith on her part! I charged her a very small amount of money, as most new "professionals" do and soon realized how much work goes into photographing an event like a wedding. Even now, I estimate at least 3 hours of work for every hour of photography; that means, for every hour clicking the shutter, there are several more hours downloading pictures and culling and correcting them.  (And I've gotten a lot quicker over the last 20 years as both my photography and my editing skills have improved!)

As I progressed in my photography, I learned about business. Even people with a college degree in photography or art have told me they didn't learn a thing about business in college. There is a lot to learn! My progress was reactive rather than proactive. An early client enquired about my web site and I thought, "I should have one of those!" Another enquired about taking credit cards and I figured out how to do that too. Prints? I found a professional lab. Getting a sales tax number and charging sales tax and a tax professional to help me write off my equipment were important steps. Business insurance and incorporating as an LLC help to keep both me and my clients safe.

Possibly the hardest step to take when building a professional photography business is charging appropriately for your work. One look at Facebook will show you a race to the bottom as part time photographers compete to charge less than the competition. That is not a sustainable way to build a business, nor does it encourage people to value photography. Most people take their photos with a cell phone but, however sophisticated the software, it is still possible to take appallingly bad photos. One woman at the gala insisted I  take her picture with her cell phone because "I don't want to wait" (for the pictures to be available). She loved the pictures I took with her I-Phone and remarked how much better they were than the ones she usually takes. Hmm! Maybe there is something to this whole photography craft after all?

In the end, being a professional photographer is about being both a good, competent photographer and being a professional. That means treating your customers in a professional manner, delivering what you promise on time (or sooner), resolving disputes in a civilized manner (rather than on Facebook) and charging what you are worth for the experience you deliver. I have been learning to be a photographer for 60 years and to be a business owner for around 20. The learning continues.

Comments

Popular Posts